News

Oil company in Nigeria loses 11,000 barrels of oil daily to theft in 2018



LAGOS, Sept 10 -- The Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) in Nigeria on Monday confirmed a daily loss of about 11,000 barrels of oil from its pipelines to crude oil theft in the Niger Delta region in 2018, more than the approximate 9,000 barrels per day in 2017, Xinhua news agency reported, quoting a company’s spokesman.

Igo Weli, a spokesman for the company, sought help from the government, communities and other stakeholders to stem the incessant attacks on its oil assets in the Niger Delta.

"These are critical national assets with 55 per cent government interest, and revenue from the oil accounts for over 90 per cent of Nigeria's foreign exchange and the bulk of government revenue," Weli told a media workshop on pipelines right of way encroachment and vandalism in the southern city of Port Harcourt.

"Hurting these assets means hurting the nation's revenue, the economy of the states, the health of the people and the environment," he added.

In its June 2019 monthly report, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, the country's state run oil giant, said there was a 77-per cent rise in oil pipeline vandalism and that 106 pipeline breaches were recorded in June, up from 60 in May.

Weli described crude oil theft and artisanal refining of stolen crude as criminal acts that are not only against the law but are also capable of mortgaging the future of the community.

Chidube Nnene-Anochie, Shell's head of safety and environment, said earlier that illegal refining and third-party interference with pipelines were the main sources of pollution in the Niger Delta.

-- BERNAMA





    Other News

Bank Pembangunan Malaysia will support its customers to weather the COVID-19 storm

KUALA LUMPUR, March 28 -- Bank Pembangunan Malaysia Bhd (BPMB) will provide all relevant support to its customers facing difficulties including granting a moratorium on repayments/payments of loans/financings for a period of six months.


TNB pledges RM150 mln to support tiered electricity rebate

KUALA LUMPUR, March 27 – Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) has pledged RM150 million to support the government’s announcement of a tiered electricity rebate to assist affected Malaysians following the extension of the Movement Control Order (MCO) period until April 14.


Minister expresses confidence in TNB’s preparedness during MCO

KUALA LUMPUR, March 26 -- Energy and Natural Resources Minister Datuk Dr Shamsul Anuar Nasarah has expressed confidence on the preparedness of Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) in revving up its capacity to meet electricity supply demand in the Peninsula during the Movement Control Order (MCO).


    Main Sponsor


    Quotes



© 2020 BERNAMA. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Security Policy This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior written permission of BERNAMA.

Best viewed in Firefox 58.0.1 (64-bit) & Chrome Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) with 1920 x 1080 resolution

Contact us :
General [ +603-2693 9933, helpdesk@bernama.com ]
Product/Service Enquiries [ +603-2050 4466, portal@bernama.com ]